Saturday, July 09, 2005

A few years ago, some whackjob Religious Righties started blowing up abortion clinics. Except for a few Fundies, most religous leaders went out of their way to condemn the bombings. Liberals were going through the fucking roof! "Assault on Freedom!" they would scream. "Justice!" others would scream.

Why did the Lefties get so agitated about the (so far) false allegations that the Koran was desecrated in Quantanimo when they didn't have a problem with an artist submerging a crucifix in urine and photographing it with Federal funding? Why did Lefties then lobby so hard to get the Christ of the Deep (a statue of Jesus submerged in the sea off of Florida) removed from a national park? Is a Jesus submerged in urine worthy of Federal funds, but a Jesus submerged in water isn't? But, I digress.

The other day, some whackjob Religious Righties organized a terrorist attack on London, killing 37 people. Lefties all over the place began by saying, "Let's hope we don't retaliate," or, "Did you hear what that hate mongering Bush said?" or, (I kid you not!) "30 people died in the explosions. 10,000 died from nicotine yesterday. Will we declare war on nicotine?"

Karl Rove said, “Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers.” He should have added attacking tobacco companies. Then he would have been PC.

I'm a tolerant guy. I'm open minded. I support gay marriages. But Islam? It's a religion of hate. They would love to see me dead. They would love to see my family dead. They would love to see every Fundie in this country dead. They would love to see every Liberal in this country dead. Every homosexual, feminist, single mom, and tree or animal hugging leftie is on their hit list!

While a few muslim clerics have denounced the violence, I don't see protests in the streets of Muslim nations that equaled the celebrations when the towers fell. I only see the large scale protests occurred when they hear that someone, somewhere, thought badly of the Koran. (Were they upset that Korans were destroyed in the 9/11 attacks? Just wondering.)Why aren't they burning effigies of Osama (Usama) bin Laden like they do of George W. Bush?

Why is it that the Left wants us to be tolerant of Middle Eastern countries, but wants to stop countries like Japan and Norway from eating whale (I've eaten whale. Chews like roast beef, tastes like fish. Not all that great, but I was respecting the culture. Apparently, I should have burned a building or been a suicide bomber.)? Why do they want to end the century old tradition of the running of the bulls at Pamplona if they want us to respect other cultures?

And, why doesn't the Left idolize Neville Chamberlain? He wanted sanctions to work.

'Course, the Right's a bit screwed up, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bradley Herring said...

I think you have gravely misrepresented my words regarding the number killed in London versus the number killed of tobacco use. What this is meant to express is that the current government has its priorities misplaced. Terrorism is a threat, but there are hundreds of children dying here and everywhere of hunger. Where is the "war on hunger?" Stem cells can cure numerous diseases, yet the government refuses to fund adequate research into the possible uses. AIDS and cancer, all of these can be prevented if the government throws money at the problem. The politicians have long been in bed with cigarette companies which routinely kill Americans indiscriminately through lies (anyone who starts smoking now that all the information is on the table, yeah, it's their fault, but 20 years ago, before the research, it's the cigarette companies' fault). And now that it has been proven time and again that cigarettes will kill you, they're still sold over the counter while marijuana is illegal. Alcohol's worse for you than weed. What it seems the Bush administration is more interested in is spending all of its money on the SUPPOSED war on terror in Iraq rather than real problems which affect America.

I, as a liberal, am all for getting Osama bin Laden. When 9/11 happened I admitted that I would feel much more comfortable if Afghanistan was wiped off the face of the earth. But the nation of Afghanistan did not do it. Bin Laden is the terrorist. We should be focused on him, not Iraq. Iraq had no links to al Qaeda before the U.S. showed up. Now they're running amok there. If we do catch bin Laden (which I personally think would be TERRIBLE for Bush and will never happen) we should cut his head off on television. That might help stop the war on terror, not indiscriminately invading sovereign nations.

Honestly, I have NO problem with you using my words even to disparage them. But the very least you can do link back to them. 1) It's plagiarizing my work if you do not give me credit, and 2) so that people can read them in context and draw their own conclusions.

Thanks for reading and for opening up some proper debate. Sorry for the rant, but, you know, once you get on a roll...

All the best.
Brad

3:33 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I am still trying to learn this bloggin thing, and I should have linked directly to your post. But, I read and then I sleep. Then I post.

My point, which should have been clearer, is that Karl Rove's comment were meant to make a point. Just as yours were.

As far as the alcohol is worse that weed. . .

If burning a dried tobacco leaf causes death on both ends of the cigarette, what does burning a dried marijuana leaf cause? Yes, alcohol is bad. But how many women were beaten or raped because someone smoked a pack of smokes? How many domestic violence calls do we see on COPS are sparked by cigarettes? How many by alcohol? How many by drugs?

BTW, I've linked the post to your blog, and put alink to your blog on mine. I'll visit often, 'cause I like what you write. I may not agree, but I like it.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Bradley Herring said...

Thanks, pal. That's all I ask.

And marijuana really isn't safer than cigarettes, but VERY few marijuana smokers actually smoke enough to endanger their lungs. Plus, marijuana doesn't have the additives that are really what are most harmful about cigarettes.

As the picture can tell you, if you look closely, I used to smoke. Feel SO much better now.

You've got a great site. Keep it up. And you SHOULD see Batman Begins. I PROMISE I'll have my phone off.

Cheers.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home