Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Scene: A street with a bench. An old blues man with a battered guitar, dark glasses and a hat is playing and singing.

Blues Man:
I got the cheap ass coffemaker
bought at Wal-mart Blues.
I'd've put a bules man photo up her
But Blogger wouldn't work this morning!
Yeah! Yeah!

A couple of months ago, my coffeemaker died. So went to Wal-Mart and bought a Hamilton Beech Brewstation. In order to sell their product at Wal-Mart, the folks at Hamilton Beech stripped some features out of their top of the line model, like the clock and timer.

Almost exactly two months later, on Saturday July 2, it died. The power wouldn't come on.

I didn't save the box. I didn't save the receipt.

Here's my plan. I bought a new coffemaker at Wal-Mart today. In a few weeks, I'll take the old coffemaker back with the receipt and get my money back.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then don't shop at 'Mall Wart'.. They suck..

I'm sorry. Coffeemakers shouldn't do that. Inbuilt obsolescence is a bad disease of American (and most westernised) society. When I was a kid, things worked. I'm not sure the evolutionists got it right after all.. ;-)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I see absolutely no problem with your plan! ;)

1:30 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

We've been living with inbuilt obsolecence for decades! Carmakers would go broke if they built dependable cars. GE would go broke if they built light bulbs that could last more than a month or two. HP would go broke if they actually put ink in their printer cartridges.

As for not shopping at Wal-Mart. . . Well, they're the only game in our small town. Yes, we're a another victim in the heartland corporate war, as the song goes. We're also a victim of being a tourist town. If you ain't a tourist and wanting to shell out big bucks for little stuff, shopkeepers don't want to talk to you.

10:18 PM  
Blogger apples said...

The thing broke down and you're bying an identical one to return the first? What do you do in two months when the new one is broken - by yet another one? Keep each one for two months until they stop selling em?

That is assuming they all break after two months... I've realized big stuff are programmed to break a month after the warranty runs out...

6:23 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Damn! I was so focused on not having to pay for a second coffe maker I didn't think about that.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home