Thursday, July 06, 2006

According to an AP story, Google, as a verb, is in the dictionary. Good for them! I like it when languages come up with new words. Except "gift" as a verb. I hate that.

"Senator Fucksaround was gifted with a new car last night at the Re-elect Fucksaround dinner," a news story might read.

Google, as a verb, as in "I googled the penalties of perjury last night," simplifies language. Formerly, we would have said "I looked up the penalties of perjury on Google last night." Using google as a word saves three words.

Gift, as a verb, on the other hand, adds words to sentences. Instead of "was given a new car" we get "was gifted with a new car." That adds a word, and makes the sentence awkward.

Sorry to cut this short, but I have to go to the store to gift my brother with a gift I haven't bought yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home