Thursday, March 09, 2006

Evangelicals confuse the heck out of me. While I was checking stats for one of my sites, I was directed to Devoted to Smallville where I came across this quote: "I thought it was odd that Jonathan objected much more to Clark waking up with Lana than Martha did. This might explain it. Maybe it was his preference! Is John Scneider [sic] a Christian? I had heard at some point that he was and blanked it out. This is a nice reminder. :)"

That caused this post: "I'm just a bit confused on how JS's off screne [sic] life and Jonathan's portrayal on Smallville collide. . ."

Which brought this post: "Most evangelical Christians . . . have a very clear stance on the abstinence issue. If he's actually dedicated to his faith, he would naturally object to playing a character that would condone premartial [sic. Or maybe he does mean sex before fighting.] sex. It makes me think that the writers yeilded [sic] to him in this and allowed Jonathan to be such an advocate against it because of John's personal beliefs, which I think is very cool. It goes to show that the actors put a lot into their characters if they're willing to stand for something." [Or it could be the writer wrote it. Just a thought.]

But what really stumped me was this post: "Hey I definitely agree...it's just so hard for Christians to draw a line between "acting" and portraying a character while bringing glory to God. It shouldn't be, but it is... I've come to learn that you really can't and never should judge a person's heart by their work...everybody makes mistakes, whether they think they are or not."

So let me see if I have this right: If you are a Christian, especially evangelical, then you must play roles that reflect your beliefs? If you are a Christian, you should not play a villain? If you are a Christian, you should not portray a character who does not believe in God--like Han Solo, 'cause he's not human and therefore doesn't know the "Good News?" A Christian shouldn't portray a murderer, like Hannibal Lector? A Christian shouldn't portray Julius Ceaser? Genghis Khan? Christians can only portray Christians? Or accept roles that promote Christian values? The can never, under any circumstances, act?

So all you Christian actors out there, whatever you do, don't act. Don't use the talent God gave you, because if take the wrong role, you aren't bringing glory to God. So sayeth the fans of Smallville.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Insanity. Throw them all to the lions!

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home