Saturday, December 17, 2005

I've always disliked the idea of Black History Month. In February, and only in February, we learn about the contributions that African-Americans have made to this country. In March, forget it. Wait 'til February to learn more. I've always thought Black History Month was another example of tokenism.

My opinion isn't popular. But at least I can take heart in the fact that Morgan Freeman agrees with me.

Then Freeman said something so profound, that everyone will call him a simpleton: "I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says. The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

Think about it. When Halle Berry won her Oscar, how many news articles refrenced her race? Practically every one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home