Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Like my blog? Sometimes it's a chore to come up with something to write, but content, they say, is king. You have to have it to sell ads. That's why I have Adsense, Amazon ads, and a couple of other ads. So even reading a stupid blog isn't free.

I have four email accounts. Each day I get 60-70 emails in each account wanting me to buy penis enhancing drugs, breast enlarging drugs, Canadian prescriptions drugs, car insurance, home insurance, second and third mortgages, plasma tvs, mp3 players. . . You name it, they try selling it. And email is cheap! And no amount of anti-spam legislation can stop the flow of junk into my free email account's inbox.

I watch a lot of TV and have noticed that in the 60s and 70s hour long TV shows were about 50 minutes long. Today, they are down to about 43 minutes. And that's not even counting the credits, which are played over the last few minutes of the show to make more room for commercials, or are shrunk to a teeny tiny square while commercials are played alongside.

I go to the movies, and besides the ads before the film, there are ads in the film. Anyone remember what candy E. T. liked? Practically every scene has product placement in it somewhere.

There are ads on public buses, taxis and buildings. Soda companies pay huge amounts of money to advertise at school, candy companies pay the same to advertise on educational TV stations played on school buses and between classes in some schools.

There are even marketers who have huge erections when they think about beaming ads into our cell phones or other blue tooth devices.

And ads in video games don't make the games any cheaper.

During election time there are ads along the roadsides telling us that a particular candidate is better than another.

I don't have a solution. Do any of you?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the ads off my blog so now I just think about content not what my content is selling.

12:09 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I'm thinking about it. But it's not just my blog, advertising is everywhere! Fast food joints advertise on their bags, soda companies advertise for theme parks on the cans, doctors advertise for drug companies, and people change their name for a period of time to goldenpalace.com. There has to be more to life than shopping. doesn't there?

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home