Monday, July 25, 2005

I feel so much better. I let Tom Hanks use my voice, and now, Poverty is History!

Thanks to Live 8, the G8 agreed to forgive some of the debt in Africa. (I read in one blog, when I didn't know I was going to write about this, that in Nigeria, this means that Nigeria will have to pay $9 million in 10 days, instead of its regular payment of $3 million for the year for the next twenty years. Sounds like we're gonna be getting a lot more "requests for help".)

Anyway, we can all feel smug and self-satisfied that we shamed the governments of the 8 industrialized nations to forgive the debt, but did nothing to solve the root causes of poverty in the world, including the greed of warlords and crime bosses. As these thugs continue to grow richer at the expense of their fellow citizens, we in the West can "High Five" and "Chest Bump" each other with our success about ending poverty.

Good job, guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home