Thursday, September 22, 2005

Now, this is what I call a Mandatory Evacuation! Rich and poor have to leave! I'm sure someone will blame the President, though.

As of 6 pm last night, the Fredericksburg Visitors' Center knew of no lodging available in Texas. The closest cities to Houston with room availability were Tulsa, Oklahoma and Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Red Cross will open a shelter in Kerrville. It seems that even the folks with no where to go are going somewhere. Wasn't that why the poor didn't leave New Orleans?

This reminds me of something I witnessed many years ago. Back in the 70s, every time there was a mandatory evacuation of the Gulf Coast, the Fredericksburg Jaycees would set up a coffee stand on Main Street, under the roof of a used car dealership. They would put a big sign that pointed to free coffee and information about lodging. I haven't seen them do that in 20 years. I wonder why? Hmmm.

Anyway, I just read that Governor Blanco has ordered an evacuation of the Louisiana Coast. Um, yeah. We saw how well that worked last time.